VP Finance - Full-time
- Feb 03, 2017 Post Date
If you believe in the same things we do, let’s talk.
First West Credit Union is a tight-knit team of smart, friendly, creative, skillful and passionate professionals spread across British Columbia and beyond. We’ve come together because we believe in making a real difference in people’s financial lives. We believe that keeping things simple, showing leadership, and banking cooperatively can change the world for the better.
The VP Finance provides leadership and expertise to the Finance Department. The VP Finance is responsible for accounting, financial reporting, budgeting, costing and taxes.
This role is responsible for coaching, mentoring and training staff to continuously improve the value that the Finance department provides to the organization. The VP Finance creates an environment that supports teamwork, collaboration, and the achievement of results within the organization. The position is responsible for establishing a professional, high performing Finance department.
Oversee the organization’s corporate, regional and subsidiary accounting and financial reporting. Retain overall responsibility for the implementation and application of sound accounting principles, practices and reporting controls. Provide leadership and direction to the First West Finance Department.
Oversee enterprise-wide financial reporting controls for First West.
Provide leadership to the Finance Department by ensuring individuals are trained and certified in all job responsibility areas for their position. Provide ongoing coaching and support for team members; conduct performance reviews and establish performance goals and objectives congruent with business plans.
Lead the development and implementation of an annual business plan and budget process for the organization that is consistent with Strategic Plan goals. Lead the quarterly forecast process for the organization.
Focus the efforts of the Finance Department on delivering excellent internal customer service through effective coaching, candor, and execution.
Facilitate the resolution of operational challenges affecting the organization through problem identification, analysis and ongoing consultation with the areas concerned. As part of the problem solving process, participate in a lead or supporting role on a variety of project teams.
Maintain compliance with all audit and risk management requirements and all other internal policies.
Education & Experience
- Hold one of the following professional accounting designations: CA, CGA or CMA
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in a finance role, preferably in a financial institution;
- 10 years leadership experience with demonstrated proficiency in complex financial analysis and Advanced knowledge of corporate planning processes problem solving
- Advanced knowledge of corporate planning processes, budgeting, and forecasting
Attributes & Skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work well in a team environment and support strong interpersonal relationships
- Proven communication skills, ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in written form
- Strong leadership background with the ability to establish priorities and set team goals
- Effective time management and organizational skills along with the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Strong leadership and coaching abilities with the ability to motivate others
Why work for us?
- Our employees give us a lot and we think it’s only right to give something back. We offer a total rewards package that includes:
- A competitive base salary plus performance-based incentive compensation and annual merit pay increases
- Flexible benefits as well as retirement benefits
- Vacation time, a flexible “Day4U”, and the ability to purchase up to 5 additional flex days
- Other financial perks such as waived or reduced financial service fees, reduced rates on personal loans, mortgages, and vehicle leases, and no-interest loans to buy computers or fitness equipment for home use
- Outstanding RRSP matching program
- A culture of growth and empowerment
- But most of all, we’re invested in our local communities. Our initiatives are far-reaching with a special focus on raising food, funds and awareness for our local food banks. We volunteer and employees can be provided with paid time off to volunteer their time to assist in serving an organization.
- What’s your place in the First West story? Apply now and let’s find out together.